Monday, November 16, 2009

People Are Jerks

And I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.

I cannot believe how arrogant and self-absorbed people are. I'm not going to go into what happened this evening to make me write this - that's not important. It's just a vent that I need to get off my chest and it's not targeted at anyone in particular but at my generation as a whole.

Now for my PSA to those Gen Y/Millennials who think they are holier than thou: Not everything you do is an amazing feat. Not everything you say is profound and interesting. You are just like the rest of us - a person who makes mistakes, learns from them if you're smart enough to, and makes decisions. These decisions make life turn out one way or a different way - it's not complicated or ingenious. I make decisions every day, so does my neighbor, my brother, my aunt, that guy I see walking down the street every morning, my boss, the chick at Starbucks, the guy at the gas station.

Just because someone makes a decision, they should not be rewarded. You, Gen Y/Millennials, are not ENTITLED to anything. You are not Mother Theresa because you donated a bag of clothes to Goodwill. Try being ACTUALLY selfless. You are not Bill Gates because you have a job. So do most people. Try working for a non-profit or volunteer full time if you want to make a difference. Most people out there work to make money to do things they really want to do - hence the saying, work to live not live to work. Don't act like you're any different. You are not Martin Luther King Jr. because you have something to say that you think other people want to hear. They most likely do not care and what you have to say is nowhere near as important as what MLK had to say. Not even close. You are not Rosa Parks because you stood up for what you believed in. It's called having integrity. You are not Helen Keller because you have overcome a "hardship." Anything you think is difficult probably isn't, you just think it is because you were rewarded for ridiculous things growing up. Every kid should not receive a trophy for playing a sport. WIN and then you get the trophy. We're going to have a bunch of sore loser wusses on our hands here. Life just isn't that way. When you have a real job in the real world, and you don't do well in your review, you aren't handed a trophy and a "Good job trying there, sport! You'll get 'em next time." You are handed a pink slip. You are not awesome because you have friends. Most people have friends. It's called living and having some social skills. You are not an incredible person of whom everyone should be in awe because you save energy, work out, volunteer at a school, got married, had a kid, gave a homeless person a dollar or any other thing that you do. Try being humble for just a moment. It does wonders for your character.

What happened to this generation? Are they so self-centered that they act this way to get attention or make themselves feel better by belittling others? I believe that's called bullying. Is my generation passing on this outrageous and obnoxious behavior to their kids that will only perpetuate this attitude? I vow right this moment not to raise my kids this way. It's driving me insane.

I am not perfect, nor have I ever claimed to be (re-read my blog, it's true. I'm far from it.) I do not, however, sit behind this computer and preach to the "lowly" people out there or brag about everything I do and how rad I am. I was raised to be humble and full of honesty and integrity. I'm not arrogant or self-absorbed, though I'd never claim to be selfless. I can and will work on a million things to make myself a better person, but I'll do it for myself. I will not act superior to anyone because I have chosen to do nice things for others or have tried something and stuck with it. I may post about things that I've done that I'm proud of, but I say it without exaggerated self-opinion. I'm disappointed in my generation and am appalled at the things that come out of their mouths. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

Thanks for listening to me vent...it's been a long time comin'.

PS - After that rant, I'm going to have to go light-hearted in what I'm thankful for today. I'm thankful that I have a job that affords me the luxury of turning on my heat. It's cold.

No comments: