Tuesday, November 10, 2009

New Year's Resolutions...In November.

So it's November. January is still a little ways off, but I saw this article about not spending for a year and I got to thinking....could I ever do this? I wonder if I could. I thought I'd train for a marathon, then a half marathon, and now I'll be walking it (if I can even do that) because I didn't get my booty in gear. Could I actually not buy anything for a year? Six months?

If you know me at all, you know that this is highly unlikely. I love to shop. I love to go to Ross and find a deal. I love shoes. I love sales. I love wearing new clothes. I love gadgets. Best Buy is one of my favorite stores. I have more gadgets than I need and should be satisfied with what I own. I wonder if I could do this for my financial well-being. I'm not in a good place and something needs to change.

Starting December 1, I will not buy anything for myself. I will see if I can do this for one month. Then, when that month is over, I'll see if I can do it for another month. Here are my rules (stealing some from the article):

1. My business expenses do not count.
2. If I actually commit to losing weight and actually lose some poundage, I am allowed to buy pants but nothing else.
3. I can continue to purchase makeup/toiletries/necessities. I really need more dishsoap.
4. I can buy presents for others, but opt for making them instead if possible.
5. Mini-vacations/road trips are allowed in moderation.
6. One exception: I will be buying a dishwasher if at all possible.

If I can get to my birthday in May having not purchased anything for myself, I'll be stunned for one thing, and will buy myself a small and nice birthday present.

Cheers to trying to save some money!

PS - I am thankful that my dad's injuries aren't keeping him off of a ladder. Though they should be.

UPDATE: I wanted to clarify that my spending will be limited to services and/or experiences and not material items aka STUFF. My worst habit is buying stuff. If I worked from home it may be easier because I wouldn't need work clothes, but alas, I have to get dressed every day.

No comments: