Monday, August 31, 2009

Memories...

Songs & smells. Sure, places and objects remind me of good times or friends or family, but those memories triggered by my olfactory and auditory systems are so powerful that they are not easily ignored. Some memories I'd rather not relive of course...like where I was when this song was overplayed on the radio...


(One, this song is actually great. The lyrics are awesome, SO TRUE, and come on, it's catchy. Ready, world? I'm about to admit something - I love, love, love Justin Timberlake. I cannot believe I've admitted that "out loud" - how can you not love someone who does Homelessville and the Single Ladies video on SNL?)

For the most part, the memories evoked are so great that I love to relive them. Like... where I was when I first smelled Armani's Acqua di Gio. Mmmmm. I used to walk through Macy's and spray some onto those strips of paper and just carry it around with me. Weird, yes. Anyway...the smell of Pledge reminds me of being young and following my mom around the house while she cleaned. Beat It by the King of Pop...I can't hear that song without thinking of when my brother and I did a "music video" to Weird Al's Eat It for our parents with a couch cushion in our t-shirts. (That's really embarrassing. Good thing it wasn't last week.) Turns out, that is the theme song to my life.

I've had "You're So Vain" stuck in my head for like two weeks. (Sidenote: I love that part in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days when Kate Hudson sings that at the fancy pants diamond party thing. Awesome.) You're so vaaaiiiinnnn you probably think this blog is about you don't you don't yooooouuuu... Turns out, Carly Simon sings that song and my dad loves her. Random, I know. I wonder what this song is going to remind me of when I forget I had it in my head and hear it again in 6 months...



Well, that's all for today. I'm going to bed early tonight - I really have needed my beauty rest lately.

No comments: