Saturday, May 2, 2009

What To Do With COPIA...

COPIA was a cool idea that never quite came to fruition. If cool ideas need a place to come and die, come to Napa. Not that Napa is horrible, it's just that it hasn't found the balance between locals & tourists, which in my mind would equal success. If businesses only ever cater to tourists, then 6-7 months out of the year you're stuck without much business from us, the locals.

COPIA should have offered locals passes - perhaps an annual fee of $10 that would get us in for free. Instead, they charged $10 at the door. For what, exactly? The same photography exhibit and wine shots? Sure, they had movies on Fridays and cool wine & cooking classes, but again, the costs were prohibitive for people to do that every week. Overall, it failed, obviously, since it's now been closed for months.

My idea for COPIA? Turn it into a hot spot! Napa needs one! Live music, DJ nights, comedy nights, awesome art exhibits, wine tastings, beer tastings, movie nights (they already have a theater-like room).....all of which would be fun, affordable, and cater to locals as well as those visiting our little town. There aren't too many neighbors in that area - the river runs around the back of the property and there is enough distance that I think loud music could easily be played without bothering anyone. The place is HUGE inside - there's no shortage of what could be done with it. Why not capitalize on the younger generation in this town who have nowhere to go and make it the buzz about town? Anyone care to lend me a cool mil? I'll have a sweet spot up and running in no time. I'll be sure to hire bouncers - it seems like anywhere with music needs bouncers for all the "gang" fights here that shut every other place down. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea - If I had a mil, I'd help, but alas, I don't. COPIA had great potential though and it's a shame it didn't work out.

Wine Chick said...

Thanks for the offer :) I just read part of an article today about poor COPIA...looks like it'll take me more than a mil to get that place into the nightlife destination I want it to be! One can only dream...