Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Nouns into Verbs - and Other Word Nerd Activities

I love making nouns into verbs. Being the word nerd that I am, I like anything that has to do with words, letters, grammar, etymology....etc.

I talk a lot. A lot a lot. Just because I talk a lot doesn't mean I like to speak in a way that's grammatically correct or in sentences that are any longer than necessary. This is where making nouns into verbs comes in handy.

For example, when I want to say: "Why didn't that company just use a DBA on that wine label instead of using their subsidiary?" I can say: "What didn't that company just DBA it?" See? So much faster. Now I can stick in an extra sentence or two to continue speaking a. lot.

Another example is used by most people these days, even when they search using a different search engine (the nerd in me just chuckled.) "What's the distance from here to the moon?" "I don't know, google it."

These come up quite regularly and I either sound like an idiot or like I know what I'm talking about even moreso. I should probably bank on the former.

Cheers to being a word nerd!

No comments: