Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Parents

I'm 31 now and over last probably 5 years, I've come to realize something about my parents. Now, they don't read this blog and I probably won't admit as much to them outright, but I'll post it for the world (aka my 3 readers) to see: they were pretty much always right.

--They've always recycled. Take it as their inner hippie or what have you, my parents have recycled for as long as I can remember, even when it was more inconvenient. I learned good habits from them and recycling is definitely one of them. Green before their time.

--They refuse to buy bottled water. Bottled water is a waste of plastic. I try not to use bottled water as much as I can, but I'm not nearly as good at this as my parents. In light of yet another article about bottled water being not that great/safe/regulated, I'm going to try much harder to use less plastic and more beautiful red metal water holder thing. They also refuse to buy paper towels...something I haven't yet committed to but plan to this year. Yet again, green before their time.

--Always on time. I like this characteristic they share - and I learned it from them. I don't like to make people wait, especially now that we're all older and all much, much busier than we used to be. Every moment is precious (not to be cheesy but it's true!) and I don't want to waste my time or someone else's. 

--Try it, you'll like it. Now this doesn't always work, but most of the time, I have tried it and I usually do like it: red bell peppers, salmon, red onions, mixed greens (but how good is iceberg...mmmm...oh who do I hear? mom? iceberg is just water? yeah yeah, I know.) Over the years I've tried things I thought I didn't like just to see if I now like them. Seafood I still haven't taken a liking to. I'll try lobster again in like 3 years.

--They used to build things better. Time and time again this has proven to be true. In some things. I love new gadgets...like I've mentioned, I'm a geek. Some old things are just better though...cars. Old cars rock. For my birthday my parents gave me a KitchenAid mixer that still has Hobart on it. Yeah, from back then. It's awesome. Now if I could just learn how to cook...

--When you're not in the room, shut the light off (and the runner up, know what you want before you open the refrigerator.) Now that I pay my own PG&E bills, I know they were right. Period.

--Don't run up credit cards. Yeaaaaah. Should have listened to that one.

--A boy should always come to the door when he picks you up. ABSOLUTELY. I cannot believe I ever stood for a guy honking in his car. I know I can be old fashioned about dating and relationships, but this is common courtesy. I wouldn't ever do that to a friend either.

--In it for the long haul. My parents have been together for 33 years. Thirty-three years. That's inspiring in and of itself! I can only hope for the same.

If I can think of more, and I know I will, I'll add them. Got any good ones?

No comments: