Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery

you: "go away"
little brother: "go away"
you: "stop copying me"
little brother: "stop copying me"
you: "MOOOOOOOM!!!!! he's copying me!"
little brother: "moooooooom! she's copying me!"
you: "I'm stupid."
little brother: "you're stupid."

That always failed. Always.

Of course, my mom probably came back with "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, honey. Your brother just wants to be like you, he loves you." When you're 9 and your brother is 7, that doesn't exactly register. It's just plain annoying.

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."
Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183 (1780 - 1832)

As an adult, this makes sense. If someone thinks you're cool/awesome/fun/smart/motivational/ambitious/exciting/happy/an expert/honest/humble/crazy-in-a-good-way/honorable/what have you, then they may, most likely subconsciously, copy you. I realize now that if someone wants to be like you or one of your inherent characteristics, then that is extremely flattering! How nice to be thought of as someone who others want to be like! If you can actually tell that someone is imitating or copying you, it's a tad odd though. And depending on who it is, it can be obnoxious and irritating. (yes, I just started that sentence with a conjunction. Bad.) I guess I just need to flip my thinking and take it as a form of flattery right? Mr. Colton was right.......as long as you take it that way.

Cheers to social media - such a plethora of blog topics!

No comments: