Sunday, April 4, 2010

VHS

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's weird that since VHS* has become extinct, there hasn't been a replacement for it? Think about it. I used to be able to record a show by the touch of a few buttons (elusive to many, of course.) I could then remove the tape and bring it to someone else's home and watch it there. At the moment, I do not have any such device that allows me to do this. Sure, if I gave Comcast another hundred bucks a month I could get my DVR back and record shows. Can I then remove them and bring them to someone else's home? Nope. What is the deal? Doesn't it seem a little backwards?


In the meantime, I'll just continue to watch all my TV shows on Hulu. Except when I get sucked into awesomely bad (but more awesome than bad) Lifetime TV movies.

*Boys & Girls, VHS stands for Video Home System. It is a tape on which you can record. A tape is a ribbon that spans two spools and records data for playback anytime. Please refer to Wikipedia for a better description.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I absolutely HATE that VHS is extinct. It's not so much the show-taping thing that bothers me, though I was using it to record shows up until a year ago. I just hate that I can't watch half the movies I own now, and I refuse to buy them on DVD. Such a waste of money!

Wine Chick said...

I am right there with you! I have boxes and boxes of VHS tapes (I worked in a video store!) and I own about 4 DVDs. I can't justify buying them again either. I'm still irritated I can't record!